Educator - San Diego Children's Discovery Museum
Part-time (multiple positions available)
The Educator is responsible for working with the Education team to implement enriching experiences through our educational programs and events for our rapidly growing children’s museum. Programs may include, but are not limited to: art studio workshops, cultural events, field trip workshops, discovery camps, scout programs, after-school programs, mobile museum, outreach events, and fee-based and public programs. The Educator will report to Education Managers.
- Teach and facilitate art, science, and cultural workshops, programs, and events including preparation, set-up, and clean-up.
- Teach school programs that align with state and national learning standards such as CA Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Ability to modify programs in response to age and ability of participants as well as comments from visitors, performance reviews, and/or program evaluation.
- Supports and collaborates with Education staff and other departments to support the Museum mission and department initiatives as they relate to exhibits, program planning, outreach efforts, events, visitor engagement, and other educational activities.
- Works closely with Visitor Services staff to deliver a safe, clean, fun, and educational Museum experience to all visitors and guests. Participates in daily visitor experience, including daily programs, sales, monitoring areas for physical appearance and functionality, engaging with visitors, etc.
- Model appropriate practices with young children and encourage learning through play. Encourage educational objectives throughout the museum experience.
- Associates or Bachelors in Education, Child Development, or equivalent experience. Teaching credential or certification preferred.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a formal, non-formal, or informal educational setting.
- Teaching experience utilizing effective classroom management skills.
- Has passion and excitement for working with children Preschool to Grade 3.
- Familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other office programs.
- Must be highly organized with excellent written and verbal communication.
- Must be able to function in a high energy team environment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred, but not required.
- Flexible schedule including weekends and/or occasional nights is required.
To be considered for this position, please send résumé and a cover letter to:
Subject Line: Part-time Education
Once received, your résumé and submitted materials will be reviewed, and if your experience and background fits our needs, someone from our office will contact you for an interview.
For more information about San Diego Children's Discovery Museum, visit http://sdcdm.org/ .