December 14, 2017 @ 6:00 pm @ 9:00 pm
Birch Aquarium at Scripps
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Bioluminescence is more than beautiful, it also helps creatures survive. Get hands on with glowing activities, meet scientists who study illuminating creatures, and create a glowing path on a bioluminescent carpet. Celebrate the season with living light! All ages welcome.Â
At the Holiday Night Light Celebration you can:Â
Get your tickets today!Â
- Learn about Fluorescence, Bioluminescence, and Phosphorescence through hands on activities and encounters with live creatures that glow.
- Go on a “night dive” with Biopop. Walk across a glowing carpet as you draw your name through a glowing sea of living light (see the videos below!).Â
- Walk through the Hall of Fishes and discover the animals that glow in the dark. Uncover the many reasons why lights are important to animals in darkness. View specimens from the darkest parts of the ocean.
- See our living touch pools in a whole new way by discovering the animals that glow in the dark. (Weather permitting)
- Peer through microscopes to reveal the tiny organisms known collectively as Red Tide.
- Listen to a short talks by Scripps scientists as they discuss the magic behind living light.
- Visit our new Winter Wonderland for interactive stories and an up close look at real ice cores.
- Create a special anglerfish craft that you can take home.
- Views lights in and around the aquarium.
- Visit the Birch Aquarium Gift Shop until 8 p.m.Â
- Grab a bite at Splash Cafe.